Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Red Lights, Canals, and Bikes Oh My!


The last two days have been incredibly eventful!
Sunday I went to Amsterdam for the first time apart from the airport of course! I went into the city in a group of twelve other students. We split off into smaller groups and the group I was with decided to go on a canal tour which was a lot of fun. It also got us oriented in the city. After that we met back up with everyone else and grabbed dinner. We later decided to roam around the Red Light District. It was very strange to see them in their boxes on display but it was definitely an experience. Next time I go to Amsterdam I think I will bike in along the Vecht river, it's supposed to be gorgeous.
On Monday we were supposed to start class but to our confusion no one had told us where we were supposed to go. A group of us decided to go to the summer school office in the morning and find out. It turns out it was a huge mistake and they didn't know that we had not been told where to go. So at first only four of us showed up to class but everyone else trickled in as the morning went on. Our class has three parts: Language, Culture & History, and Seminar. During seminar we discuss things while the other part is more of a lecture. So far it's pretty interesting. The best part about Monday was that I bought my bike! During our lunch break I went with another student in the program to get our bikes! It is used and a little rusty in some spots but I am totally in love with it! Riding around Utrecht on my bike is by far my favorite thing I have done. After class there was a movie free to summer school students at a theatre and then we ran some errands before heading home. At about 8:30 I headed out to explore the city with the other girl who got her bike. We rode into the center of the city and just explored canals and bike paths around the center. At about 10 we stopped and ate some amazing cheesecake. It was melt in your mouth wonderful. It was just getting dark at 10 so we rode home and hit the books.
Today I had my first experience of riding my bike in the rain, which was not that bad. The weather is fairly warm and its fun to see the rain on the canals while I ride by them. I am sure I will have a different opinion of the rain once the novelty wears off, but for today it was nice!
I also had my first language class today and I forgot how hard it is learning a new language at the very beginning when you are figuring out how to move your mouth for the new words. Its a little hilarious speaking Dutch though.

My bike is the one on the outside! I will take a better picture later
The cheesecake had passion fruit on top it was so amazing
if you look through this bride you can see a ton of other bridges...supposedly seven. I took this during our canal cruise
Me and Cherry in front of the Amsterdam train station
David buying one of the ridiculous vending machine hamburgers.

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo excited you are getting out and doing so much exploring! I love your new bike! We got thunder here all weekend and giants drops of rain when I was hauling the horse back from the arena. The rain made me think of you in Utretch! Based on the weather reports, it looks like it rains there every day! Let me know if there is anything particular that you are missing from home!
    Houd van u!

    ReplyDelete