Friday, August 20, 2010

The Bells, The Bells, The Bells




Today has been a long one, we moved into our UCU housing this morning so I am in my official room for the rest of the year! It is a cross between and apartment and a suite. There are 8 single rooms, a living room with 3 couches, a fridge, a hot plate, and a microwave. There is one bathroom and one shower for every two rooms. There are tons of windows in all the rooms so I am going to enjoy the natural light while I can! I so far only have one roommate, she is Dutch and seems very nice.After dropping stuff off in my room I headed over for our final summer school activity, climbing the Dom Tower with our professors. It was amazing, it is the old bell tower for the church in Utrecht. It used to be part of the church but half the church fell down in a tornado hundreds of years ago. They decided not to clean up the church in the end. The tower has almost 500 steps and amazing panoramic views. Today was a beautiful day - in the 80s - and very clear so we could see all the way to Amsterdam! The bell man also played the bells for us while we were up there because it was 1230, which was incredible. There were some trials though,
for instance we did not get here in time to get bedding and they do not supply us with dishes or hangers or other things useful to people who flew here from 9 time
zones. Getting here also involved walking our luggage here from the bus stop and then speed-walking 20 mins to get to our tour on time. We are about to set off on a bike ride along the canal to get some Dutch pancakes :) This weekend promises to be sunny and full of biking. Oh also the entrance to my apartment is virtually hidden and very hard to find, but I really like the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment