Saturday, August 14, 2010

Maura the Explora - Utrecht Edition






The last two
days I have done a good amount of exploring in Utrecht. Part of it was for an assignment. For my Dutch culture class we had to head into a Turkish and Moroccan neighborhood called Lombok and observe the differences from downtown. It was really fun to explore all the fruit stands and Turkish bakeries. I got a giant loaf of bread for less than 2 Euro! And I have been devouring it. I also treated myself to some baklava. Today I went exploring the central area with Sarah and Nicki. We went to the market that happens a few times a week and made complete touristy fools of ourselves with our cameras. There was so
much there. My personal favorites were the cheese stands because many of them had free samples! But there were also candy sta
lls, spice stalls, and much more. After trying Surinamese food for the first time ever and getting some fresh squeezed orange juice Sarah and I decided to try and find a grocery shop museum. On our way there we ended up at the Domkerk. The Domkerk is a giant Church in a central location of Utrecht. The Domtower is visible in much of the city and is an icon of Utrecht. We found a garden located within the boundaries of the church that was completely gorgeous. It was also full of punk/goth people h
aving professional photographers follow them around. In the courtyard next door there were booths full of goth gear, it appeared to be a sort of hang out or convention. After stopping for directions and some more wandering we finally f
ound it. By museum they meant that it is a candy store that look like an old style grocery shop. I decided to buy some nougat while I was there, which is pretty tasty. I even [sort of] was able to order in Dutch! The woman working in the shop was very sweet and even let me photograph her. After that we got walked back to our bikes and rode home. On the way we got separated, and lost. I have been here for a week and I still get lost all the time. However, I am much better about figuring out the general direction I need to be going. On the way home I stopped in Wilhelmina park for a while to relax by the water and update my journal. Apart from it being nice to get some alone time it is a great place to people watch. There was some sort of event going on with live music and booths. I can't believe it has already been a week, so much has happened so it feels like so long ago that I landed. At the same time it really flew by.

No comments:

Post a Comment