Monday, August 16, 2010

Anise Sprinkles


I realized that I have been pretty much keeping a travel journal on here and not really informing you guys about Dutch culture. So before I go to sleep here are some quick things I have learned in the last week or so.
-According to my Professor running red lights on bikes is a national sport. Every time I am stopped at a red light, mind you one SPECIFICALLY for bikes, Dutch people zoom by me I feel like a fool.
-They have liability insurance to cover accidents on their bikes or if they walk through a glass door as well as car and home insurance.
-They insult using words for diseases and the worst one you can use is cancer.
-They are not to nationalistic until it comes to soccer, Queen's Day, and Remembrance Day.
-They love anise flavored things, you can even buy anise flavored warm milk. When someone has a baby they eat anise sprinkles on pieces of hard bread. They are blue and white for a boy or pink and white for a girl.
-The sky here is HUGE, there is nothing breaking the horizon once you leave the city center.
Bear in mind these are generalizations and I will give more details about them as I move in with Dutch people (on Friday!!!!).
Here is a picture of the building I live in now. I was really hoping for thunder today so I could watch the storm from my 13th floor apartment.
I will upload photos of Delft in the next day or so.
Goodnight blog reader whomever you may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment