Thursday, November 11, 2010

Typical Dutch, Typical Dutch

My Dutch professor and some Dutchies are fond of saying "typical Dutch" to explain things. I love this phrase.So I am going to tell you two very quick, very typical Dutch things that happened today.
The first is that I went to the humanities library downtown with my art class to work on my research paper. While we were in the library it started raining and the wind started blowing. The ride home was very intense. I feel as though I have been officially baptised into living here, that or the weather just slapped me in the face. At times the wind was blowing so hard that itfelt like I was peddling and going nowhere. Add to that the the rain being whipped into my face in 40 degree weather and the sticks and leaves that also managed to find my face. By the end of the ride my friend Bella and I were laughing about the insanity of the weather but also could not believe that our faces were stinging as if we had just been slapped. Apparentlly this is "typical Dutch"

The second thing is much nicer. Today is Sint Maarten's Day (Saint Martin). The most famous story of this Saint is one of him cutting his cloak in half to give to a dying beggar and that night he dreamed of Jesus wearing his cloak. He is a big deal in Utrecht and the emblem of the half cloak is on the seal of the University here. On this day Dutch children walk around with lanterns and sing songs at houses. They also get candy in exchange for this sometimes. They do not really do Halloween here and I think this may be their version. I was lucky enough to witness some of this because I biked off campus to get coffee with a friend at a cafe after dinner. On the way we passed groups of children with gorgeous lanterns. Also while we were sitting in the cafe groups would come in and a sing in exchange for candy from the workers. It was really nice to see and brightened up my night!

Also SINTERKLAAS COMES THIS WEEKEND!!! It's televised nationally and everything. I will explain all the wonder and hilarity that is Dutch Christmas celebrations soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment