Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sinterklaas




First of all the picture is about a month old, but I just thought the tree was pretty. It is the one right outside my window. It is now bare, which is appropriate considering it is supposed to SNOW this week!!!
Okay, on the the main even, Sinterklaas. So a much more entertaining way to learn about Sinterklaas would probably be to read the David Sedaris story "Six to Eight Black Men." So I really suggest you do that, or you can just youtube it and listen to him read it.
Anyways here goes my explanation. Sinterklaas is the Dutch version of Santa. He is a Turkish Bishop who lives in Madrid with his friends, the Piets. The Piets used to be his slaves, but now they are just his friends. There is some controversy about the fact they are black so now the story is that they are covered in chimney soot. Apparently one year on their way to Holland Sint and the Piets sailed through a rainbow and all of them were different colors. However, it is not uncommon to see people in blackface dressed as Piets around now.
Sinterklaas arrives on a boat from Spain in an event that is televised nationally. There is a Sinterklaas news show every night at 7 leading up to the day. Every year there is some doubt whether he will make it in time because the Piets mess things up. All the Piets have different roles, there is Listening Piet who hangs out around rooftops all year making sure the children are good. But there is also navigation Piet who never fails to get them lost each year. The city the "real" Sinterklaas comes into is changed each year, but on the same day helper Sinterklaases go through each city. All my Dutch friends have assured me that they were always able to tell the difference between the real Sinterklaas and the fake ones.
After Sinterklaas comes into the country Dutch children leave their shoes by the fire place, but now more often the radiator, and sing Sinterklaas songs before bed. They also often leave him a poem and a bowl of water and a carrot for the horse. Some mornings they will wake up to find candy in their shoes! I have already gotten candy in my shoes twice!! Once in Eindhoven and then also in my unit on Monday night. On Monday Sint and Piet even left us a poem. All of this continues until December 5, which is the feast day of Sinterklaas (St. Nicholas). On Sinterklaas, Sinterklaas shows up in the afternoon with a bag of gifts. Some families actually hire a Sinterklaas to show up, and others distract the kids while a giant pile of gifts gets left outside the door. If you are bad though, you get taken back to Spain. Apparently Sinterklaas and Piet used to beat bad children, but now they only pretend to.
For the adults December 5 is also very nice. Families exchange gifts, make eachother something that has to do with that person. It can be something teasing them about their personality or something nice and they also write each other poems. Groups of friends also do this, it is much like a Secret Santa. I am doing this with a group of people on campus, maybe half of whom are actually Dutch.
Sinterklaas season has been really fun because all the Dutch students are so enthusiastic about spreading the love of Sinterklaas. They even found out where the real Sinterklaas was coming this year for us. I could not go because of rehearsal, but some of my friends went and brought me a Sinterklaas beard and hat! There are also sweets that are typical of Sinterklaas season. Mostly pepernoten, which are like mini gingersnap cookies.
Long story short Sinterklaas season is really fun and exciting. It definitely makes up for the lack of Thanksgiving season. It also makes Christmas just about the Christmas story and family instead of gift giving.
It's been funny to explain Santa to Dutch people when they ask. They are completely baffled by the fact he lives on the North Pole and that he just knows if children have been good and bad. Its made for some amusing conversations. I've also had to explain Thanksgiving a few times lately, which has been a little amusing. They made a delicious Thanksgiving dinner in dinning hall tonight. They had turkey, cranberry sauce, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and really deluxe ice cream cakes for dessert! I did not know it was happening and it was a really nice surprise! So not to worry, I still had Thanksgiving, all the way over in Europe. I will actually get two, because I am making dinner with some friends on Friday. Not on Thursday because we are going to a concert!
Anyways to finish this thing off,
I am thankful for the chance to live in another country (even if it means being away from so many people I love for such a long time).
I am also thankful that I have found such great friends here to keep me company and take me in during the holiday season. I feel really blessed. I also miss everyone back in the states and my friends spread out all over the world right now! So I hope where ever you are that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving full of good food and even better people.

No comments:

Post a Comment